Running Universe Starter Agent on Mac OS

I am new to OpenAI and reinforcement learning. I ran into a problem running the Universe Starter Agent on Mac OS (https://github.com/openai/universe-starter-agent). I was able to get the agent running correctly after a very small change. Specifically the following command line needs to be altered for the VNC Pong example:

This does not work correctly on Mac OS

python train.py --num-workers 2 --env-id gym-core.PongDeterministic-v3 --log-dir /tmp/vncpong

On my MacBook Pro the /tmp/vncpong folder was never being created. The solution was to remove the forward slash before the tmp/vncpong, like this:

This works correctly on Mac OS

python train.py --num-workers 2 --env-id gym-core.PongDeterministic-v3 --log-dir tmp/vncpong

It looks like tmp/vncpong is where training files are being written. I am also assuming these training files can be used to ‘reuse’ the training to play Pong later without the need to retrain. I would like to learn how to reuse the training.

I think the reason that /tmp/vncpong did not work on my Mac was due to permissions at the user root level. However I has not tested this out.